Friday, July 18, 2008

Back in the saddle...

After two months of traveling, re-organizing my studio, and re-building my website, my painting has taken a back seat. I have paintings all drawn out, but only a few started. Now that all that other stuff is done, painting is all I need to do. But, getting back into the swing is not as easy as it sounds. You have to start with a painting that you really believe in. It has taken me about a dozen painting sketches, but I have one that I am really in love with. This is "Snow Day", named because I see the faces of the kids in my neighborhood who hear on the radio that school is cancelled today. I hope I caught that in these two timberwolves...

The background is simple enough, but I have to make the foreground really stand out to make this painting work. The biggest challenge right now is to keep the colors darker so that the final sparkle of whites will stand out.

No comments: