Monday, June 23, 2008

Somebody stop me......

I have to admit that I have a problem....I never have enough reference. I find myself running out of card space and memory because of all my picture taking. Not to mention the fact that I put more money into my camera equipment than groceries. I thought I would share some of the photos I have taken recently. I have not posted paintings for a while because I am getting my studio organized and ready for a new floor.

I have found that even though I have enough reference to last me a lifetime of paintings, just the act of going out into the field and looking for wildlife stirs the creative juices and gets me excited about working.
You never know what you are going to find, just go out and look. Sometimes you only have to look out your back door, other times, you may have to look a little harder and be a little more patient. One of the best things I have learned since I have started this career, is to not be in such a rush. Great rewards come to those who wait...

1 comment:

Terry Miller said...

Right On, Victoria!
So true, we need to be re-inspired all the time, at least I know I do. Even if I have thirty thousand images of cows by now (which I don't, but close!), as you say, just the act of sitting and watching and studying and experiencing the way they move and then suddenly seeing the perfect light and shadow on them ... you can't help yourself.
I have said many times in the last couple of years, that I NEED to go back to Africa, even though, after seven trips in the last 35 years, I have more reference than I could possibly go through if I lived another fifty years ... the mere act of being there, smelling Africa, hearing Africa ... brings back the inspiration that seems to have left me, having not been on that continent in seven years now. I can look at my elephant reference and the juices just don't flow as great as when all that is fresh in the memory of having been standing there with them.
Reference is a tremendous need for we artists, but the going and doing and sketching and photo'ing is just as important to the soul and the spirit and to inform inspiration.