Sunday, January 11, 2009

Monticello Swans

Trumpeter swans are one of my favorite birds. Little did I know that one of the largest groups of them was less than 15 minutes away from me. The swans in Monticello Minnesota gather here from November to February for two reasons...the waters are warm from the energy plant just up the Mississippi River and never freezes, and the residents feed them up to 1500 lbs of corn a day. Once thought extinct, these glorious birds have made a wonderful comeback.
A ban on feeding them was enforced because of fears of disease spreading among the 1500 swans and wiping them out. But the ban was recently lifted after 35 swans died from injuries and lead poisoning while searching for food.

My hat is off to the residents of this community that love these birds and continue to nurture them. They have established a park and a viewing platform so that we all can enjoy them. I plan on visiting this wonderful and noisy place often.


No comments: