Thursday, December 02, 2010

Inspiration....

I am often asked who is my inspiration, or what work inspires me...? How can I answer that question? I find inspiration in a sunset, or a friend's twinkle in their eye. If I had a go to artist that I look to when I feel lost, it is definitely William Bouguereau. When I was a kid, my family used to go to the Philbrook Museum in Tulsa, OK. While my family wandered on, I sat in front of his painting, Young Shepherdess, for what seemed hours. The glow of her skin, the texture of her clothes, everything about the painting excited me. Then I read this quote from him, and I understand the connection that I have always felt with him.
"Each day I go to my studio full of joy; in the evening when I am obliged to stop because of darkness I can scarcely wait for the morning to come...my work is not only a pleasure, it has become a necessity. No matter how many other things I have in my life, if I cannot give myself to my dear painting, I am miserable." William Bouguereau
I wish I could say that I went to my studio with this kind of passion every day, but it does happen every now and then. To live in a state of pure inspiration and enlightenment is a goal that I strive for. I believe that when we see artists of this level of talent, we can get a glimpse of the gift that they have been blessed with.

No comments: