Monday, December 15, 2014

What Once Was Lost


I have been negligent in my postings on this blog and my website. A New Year's resolution is to keep up more. In a Facebook and twitter world, I have been using them more as of late. I guess because the response is more immediate than any other media. But, not everyone has fallen into the Facebook black hole as deeply as some of us, so I will try to keep up.
 
This is my latest, What Was Once Lost, oil on board. A quick note about the making of this painting. As an artist, we all use more than one photo for a painting. This is a perfect example. The background is from my old home in Minnesota after a heavy snow, the cowboy is from a picture that I took in August 2009 in South Dakota. Finally, the calf was from a photo I took from the side of the road while I was in Utah looking for petroglyphs.
 
As you can see, it took a lot of sketching, adjusting, pushing values and adding snow. It was a time consuming, but well worth the time and effort.
 
Have a wonderful holiday season.

No comments: