Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A new workshop

I recently spent a week in Scottsdale taking a class in Trompe L'oeil. It is a form of art, which it's name implies, that "tricks the eye". In other words, my painting here, done in class is all painted. It is supposed to look like all of these elements are pasted on the board. It is a painstakingly slow process, but so much fun! Our teacher, Jay Davenport, was patient and a very good teacher. I don't think that I have ever taken a class where I was told to go tighter with my detail! This genre of art takes years of practice and hours of study to pull off. I don't know when I will be able to finish it, but I will post the final result when I do.
You can see some of Jay's work at his website www.jdavenportart.com. He will be teaching at the Scottsdale Art School in March of next year if you are interested in learning this method.

No comments: