Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Working Class WIP

My newest work WIP (work in progress). I took this photo of a young cowboy in South Dakota driving cattle across the Cheyenne River. I zoomed in and in until I got this close up of the two, I could not believe how much detail my new lens could get from so far away. As an artist, not a photographer, I can not express enough how important your equipment is. I do not take artistic photos, but I depend on my photographic equipment to capture things that I might miss looking at the big picture. If you plan on pursuing a full time career as an artist, do not skimp on your camera and lenses if you are able. I do not do many paintings from life other than landscapes, but when it comes to animals and western lifestyles, my best friend is my camera. I never knew that I would make this picture so intimate, but thank goodness I had such good reference.

Having said that, I also have to say, do not depend on your photographs to make paintings for you. Be sure to keep the "artist's eye" and keep the spontaneity of making the most of your reference photos and imagination.

No comments: