Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Found Inspiration



Seems lately I have been in a slump. I have 5,000 ideas for paintings but nothing hits me that I really want to paint.
I went out to feed the horses and found the dark feather in my driveway. I looked at it laying there and the way the light hit it, and there you go. You never know where inspiration will hit you. I brought it in. I taped it to my table and went to town on it. I had such a good time painting this, I did another. The first feather is a feather from one of my chickens, the second, found in the driveway is an owl feather.
My husband came in to my studio and looked at them and said, what are you doing? I said that I was finishing up a couple of paintings. He looked and asked me where they were, and I told him that these were the paintings. He laughed and said to me that he thought I had taped feathers to a board.
I guess I did it right.

By the way, I returned the owl feather to our field. I know that it is illegal to keep feathers from wild birds. We have hundreds of them out there. We have redtails that nest in a tree in our North field, owl boxes all over, bald and golden eagles, and hundreds of turkey vultures in the trees across the street. There is no shortage of feathers that are on our property.

No comments: